Italy returns Ethiopian imperial plane
"Tsehay", built in 1935, exhibited at the AMI museum in Vigna di Valle
The Italian Government has returned the imperial military plane "Tsehay" (sun, in Amharic) to Ethiopia. The aircraft had been confiscated in 1941 and transferred to Europe during the fascist colonial occupation. The aircraft is located in the Historical Museum of the Air Force in Vigna di Valle, on Lake Bracciano, near Rome. The fixed-wing aircraft will in the future be put on display in a museum hall in the African capital, Addis Ababa.
"Today is a day of great pride for Ethiopians because we celebrate the official delivery of 'Tsehay' by the Italian Government", wrote on the social platform the prime the Ethiopian Prime Minister, Abiy Ahmed, during his visit to the Vigna di Valle hangars after the Italy-Africa summit last Sunday and Monday.
Meanwhile, Sofonias Kassahun Workie, president of the Ethiopian community in Rome, recalled: "It is a great moment, a moment of pride, even for us who had already moved five or six years ago. We had then reported the matter to the embassy of Rome, starting a dialogue. He had been taken away as if to strike and destroy the development ambitions and projects of the 'negus' and his people".
The "Tsehay" aircraft was built entirely in Ethiopia in 1935, thanks to the collaboration of the German engineer Herr Ludwig Weber, who was Emperor Haile Selassie's pilot, and together with the leading Ethiopian aviation experts of the time.
AVIONEWS - World Aeronautical Press Agency